On behalf of Law Offices of Kathleen G. Alvarado on Monday, June 11, 2018.
You may be driving home one day and your car is suddenly hit from behind. Thankfully, you are not injured but someone could have been. The car has enough damage that you may need to have your car towed. The thought of being in a car accident can be unnerving. Your life flashes before your eyes. What happens next is even more upsetting when you get out of your car you see the driver of the other vehicle take off. What is going on you wonder?
Handling a hit-and-run accident
You have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident. This is when a driver hits you and then leaves the scene of the accident without any regard for you or your passengers. They did not even check to see if you were injured or if your vehicle was damaged. They are gone. They could have left the scene for many reasons. They could possibly be for driving drunk and are worried that they will be arrested if they are caught. They could also be driving without car insurance, which happens often. Some drivers even take off because they do not have a driver’s license. According to California state traffic laws, drivers are supposed to follow certain procedures after being involved in an accident. However, that can be challenging if the other driver flees the scene of the accident.
There are steps you can take after being hit by a hit-and-run driver. They include:
- Make sure everyone is safe and call 911 if needed for medical help.
- Write down the license plate, vehicle description, make and model of the car.
- Call the police. Police need to go to the scene and write an accident report. They will also make note of the other driver leaving the scene of the accident.
- Get as much evidence as possible. This means writing down everything you remember about the accident. Take as many pictures as you can of the scene and both cars involved in the accident.
- Talk to possible witnesses, the people who saw the accident occur. They may have vital information.
- Call your insurance company and file a claim.
No one ever wants to be involved in an accident. It is even worse if the other driver does not even care enough to stick around. If you are ever involved in a hit-and-run accident, it is good to be informed of the steps to take.